Sunday, December 5, 2010

Almond Crusted Tilapia with Browned Butter Sauce



I'm finally back to posting! I took a mini hiatus due to Thanksgiving and work but I have a few great recipes that I have been meaning to post from the past month! 


(Originally created on 11/11/10)
I love fish! It is so good for you...low in fat, filled with protein, great source of GOOD fats (Omega 3s!) and great tasting. But sometimes I get bored with simply broiling my fish with lemon (that way IS good though!). So while on my walk on this brisk fall day I got to thinking about what I could do differently and got a craving for a macadamia crusted halibut that I had at a local restaurant...I remember it being light yet satisfying and slightly sweet and nutty. 


I always keep almonds in my cabinet for a high protein snack along with tilapia in the freezer for easy dinners (great, low cost fish that you can buy fresh and then freeze fillets or you can also work with already frozen pieces), so I thought I'd give it a try! I still need to work a bit on the browned butter sauce but I think it turned out well for my first try and I'm excited to build on this :)


Here's what I did:


Ingredients:
  • Tilapia fillet (maybe 4oz)
  • 1/8 cup crushed almonds
  • 1T whole wheat flour
  • 1 egg white, beaten
  • 1T butter
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • Splash of FF milk, room temperature or warmed
  • Pinch of parmesan cheese
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

Dip whitefish fillet in whole wheat flour and shake off excess. Dip fillet in egg white and then coat in crushed almonds, pressing them into fish well. Place on prepared cookie sheet and bake in oven for about 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.


For sauce: In a small saucepan or sauté pan melt butter over medium-low heat. Add a pinch of nutmeg and cook, stirring often, until butter is lightly browned (about 3-5 minutes). Once cooked, remove from heat and add a splash of warmed skim milk and pinch of parmesan cheese and stir until well combined.


I served this with garlic snap peas and roasted broccoli sprinkled lightly with parmesan :) Enjoy!


(Estimated calories per piece of fish- 340)


*Note- I only made 1 serving of this to "experiment" and thought it came out rather well! I think that if you just double, triple, quadruple, etc the recipe it should come out just fine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment