Monday, April 11, 2011

Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers


Stuffed peppers are really not something I've made a lot. I have experimented with other vegetarian versions with beans (using black beans and fiesta rice with lots of cheese...yum) as well as turkey stuffed peppers and I've also had, but not personally made ones with ground beef. I don't quite know why since I know my mother had definitely made them a few times growing up but they just really haven't been my go-to. Really though, these make such a fantastic easy and healthy family meal!

You get at least 2 servings of vegetables in a pepper with more if you add a veggie to the stuffing itself. Add in some lean protein like ground white meat turkey, lean ground beef or vegetarian protein like beans or tofu along with a whole grain like brown rice, whole wheat couscous or quinoa and voila! A complete, tasty and healthy dinner packed with protein, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It can also be a fun way to get kids to eat their veggies with the fun, untraditional presentation ;)

This time I decided to try a mediterranean theme using garbanzo beans, feta cheese, dill and some lemon for flavoring.

Here's what I used:

  • 4 medium Red Bell Peppers, tops sliced off and ribs/seeds removed
  • 8oz sliced mushrooms
  • 2 cups whole grain rice (I used Uncle Bens Ready Rice Whole Grain Medley in a bag...you don't want me to even try to make homemade rice...really!)
  • 1/2 small yellow cooking onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1T olive oil
  • Dill, to taste (I used about a tablespoon I think)
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • Salt & pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
Heat olive oil in a large skilled over medium heat. Add onion and saute for about 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute until cooked down, then add in your garlic. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until garlic is fragrant. Add in your cooked rice and saute until combined and heated through. Season with dill, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Stir in cheese. Fill pepper shells with mixture and place in a greased baking dish, cover with foil and bake for about 40 minutes or until peppers are soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment