Saturday, August 13, 2011

Mixed Berry Pancakes and Updates

So I think I'm finally back to posting after having a whirlwind of a summer! The internship is going well and I've actually been offered an extension through September so I'm thrilled about that :) I've been exposed to so many different areas of "nutrition" and it has been a great and refreshing experience.

Mike and I finally moved into our new apartment at the beginning of July and absolutely love it. We're located in the heart of Lincoln Park right near the Zoo and are just a short walk to the water. With both of us being so busy this summer- me with my internship and him starting a new position at Bank of America, and both of us moving and traveling- we haven't really had time to enjoy the city together yet. But it's been so nice to just "be" together and not have to travel back and forth from Baltimore to Chicago every few weeks. 

Today has been a nice lazy one so far, starting out with a visit to Chicago's Green City Market.


It was great to get out to a farmer's market again and see all the fresh local produce and goods available! We only got a few things this trip (10 year aged cheddar, bread and butter pickles, nectarines, raspberries, kale) but there is so much more that we'll be trying in the coming months! 

When we got home I started on brunch for the two of us. I feel like I haven't cooked in so long and it's a shame since we have such a beautiful kitchen :) I'm totally in love with it!


I used my Magic Bullet to grind up some fresh coffee and got to work making some whole wheat berry pancakes:
  • 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cup milk (I used light soy)
  • 1T honey
  • 1 egg or 2 egg whites, whipped until white and frothy (I used egg whites)
  • 1tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup blueberries (can be frozen and thawed or fresh)
  • 1/2 cup raspberries (can be frozen and thawed or fresh)
Mix dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in another minus the egg whites.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient bowl in batches until just combined. Fold in egg whites gently. 

Heat heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into pan (as many as will fit) and top each cake with blueberries and raspberries. Once bubbling on top flip over and cook until golden brown. 

Serve with extra berries, jam, honey, maple syrup or your other favorite toppings!








Off now to get ready for a bbq with some friends downtown :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment