Thursday, May 19, 2011

Quick & {Healthy} Sweet & Sour Chicken


I initially started this with the motivation to make my own sauce...but then saw a bottle of sweet & sour sauce when I was grabbing some produce at WF and I caved. Especially since I'm not making dinner until 8pm! I saw this as an opportunity to make something even faster, easier for families and individuals on the go and healthy to boot. 


What I used:
  • 2 large chicken breasts, skinless and trimmed of extra fat, cut into chunks
  • 1 cup pineapple chunks
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup snap peas
  • 1tsp onion powder
  • 1T soy sauce
  • 1/2 Cup prepared sweet & sour sauce (I used Kikoman) 
I pretty much prepared my recipe using the same as what was suggested on the bottle, but I modified it by using chicken breast (pork would be a lean white meat option too), removing the corn starch and halving the amount of sauce used (really, you don't need all of that). 

Heat large skillet over medium heat, spray with nonstick cooking spray or a little olive oil. Add chicken, onion powder and soy sauce, browning on all sides. Add 1/4 cup of water, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes stirring occassionally. Add vegetables, pineapple and sweet & sour sauce, mix well, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes. Uncover and simmer for another 5-7 minutes until heated through and sauce has reduced a little.

Serve with some 90 second Ready Rice and you're set for a healthy quick meal in about 30 minutes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment