Sunday, August 1, 2010

Farmer's Market Finds

There are few things I love more than enjoying a relaxing Sunday, starting with the Farmer's Market and coming home with all my seasonal finds to make a bunch of yummy meals for the day and week. I love spending my Sundays watching movies and cooking all day for friends and family, with maybe a good workout thrown in the mix.

So today I'm working on my crab gazpacho with all of the veggies I bought today (grape tomatoes, red onions, cucumber, green onions, garlic, peppers, etc.) and fish packets with sauteed garlic spinach.

Lunch was fairly simple... egg salad prepared with light mayo, farm fresh eggs...hot & spicy pickles from the pickle stand, whole grain crackers and horseradish cheese from a local dairy. To add some more crunch to the meal I toasted up some Kale that I found at the greens stand.  OMG if you haven't had "kale chips" you really need to try them! Such a great low cal way to get that salty crunch you are looking for in potato chips.

Start by washing and drying your kale well. Either tear leaves apart to your desired size or snip with kitchen scissors. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread leaves onto pan. Spray cooking spray lightly over top of kale and sprinkle with salt and pepper (or other seasonings of your choice...they are great with garlic salt and cayenne pepper too!). Place pan into a preheated 400 degree oven for about 6-8 minutes or so, tossing once, until crisp. Enjoy for barely ANY calories! :) Also, dark leafy green kale really packs a nutrition punch and is high in Vitamins A, C, & K and also provides a good source of fiber!

Well, back to cooking and the Jane Austin Book Club on Lifetime ;) Because yes, Lifetime is definitely one of my guilty pleasures. More easy recipes to come this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment