Saturday, July 31, 2010

Fish Piccata



I've been on a seafood kick this week! First it was the crab/avocado pasta, then yesterday E and I (well, E actually!) cooked tuna fillets with mango salsa and tonight...fish piccata! I know...usually you hear about chicken piccata, but I thought hmmm...maybe that would be good with fish! I bought some mahi mahi at Wegman's last weekend and really wanted a great way to use it. Since I was cooking for just me, I made a single serving...but feel free to increase the recipe as needed!

Ingredients:

  • 6oz Mahi Mahi filet (or any similar fish)
  • 1T olive oil
  • 1t tub margarine
  • White wine, q.b. (quanto basta...or however much it takes!)
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • Whole wheat flour, q.b.
  • 1T capers
Heat olive oil and margarine in a small skillet over medium high heat. Meanwhile, lightly coat fish filet in whole wheat flour and shake off excess. Once oil is hot, add fish (it should sizzle!) and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Flip filet to other side and cook another 2-3 minutes (it should be golden brown). Turn heat down to medium-low and remove filet to plate and set aside. 

Deglaze pan with splash of white wine, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Add lemon juice and capers and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add fish back to the pan and baste with juice/wine/caper mix. Cover and cook for 2 minutes, then flip fish and re-cover cooking for another 2 minutes until cooked through. 

Remove from heat and let rest for 2-3 minutes. 

I served this with spinach-lemon couscous (I used a box mix that I had on hand!) and crispy brussels sprouts (yes, I like them a bit dark...nearly burnt! This pic would be prettier if I hadn't let them get too crisp. But I just think they taste yummy when the leaves get crunchy!). 

This meal is a great source of those good fats we talked about with the olive oil and omega-3's from the fish! Serving it up with a nice vegetable and healthy starch rounds out the meal nicely! 

No comments:

Post a Comment