Monday, July 19, 2010

Vegetarian Day 2 Successful!

Today was so easy! I had such yummy, healthy meals...what a good day :)

Breakfast was packed up and taken to work - fat free plain Greek yogurt (about 3/4 cup) with about 1/2-3/4 cup Special K Granola cereal, along with that I had a banana and a large cup of cucumber white tea.

Lunch was peanut butter and honey on a high fiber English muffin, tomato/mozzarella salad and a few sunchips. My afternoon snack was a cup of deep red cherries (my fav!).

Dinner was so so so good! I'll be uploading a pic soon but I had to post it first!

Mexican food seems like one of the easiest ethnicities to turn vegetarian...tonight was quesadilla night. Using a ton of fresh veggies, whole wheat tortillas and low fat cheese I think I hit a home run! It was so simple and quick!

Ingredients:

  • Small whole wheat tortillas (6"), about 4
  • Fresh veggies of choice (I used red pepper, yellow squash, zucchini, yellow onion), about 2 cups
  • Cherry tomatoes, about 1/2 cup chopped
  • Avocado, about 1/2 cup chopped
  • 1T chopped cilantro
  • 1T lime juice
  • 1/2 jalepeno, minced
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Low fat mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup divided
Saute veggies in 1T olive oil or cooking spray over medium heat until slightly tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add in hot sauce if you'd like to add a little zip (I used about 1t sriracha) and toss. Set aside. Spray saute pan with cooking spray, heat over medium heat. Toast tortillas in pan about 1 minute each side or until golden brown. Once toasted, place 1 tortilla in pan on low heat, top with half veggie mixture, sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and another tortilla. Toast until cheese is melted. 

In a bowl combined chopped cherry tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, jalepenos, and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over top of quesadilla (I used about 1/2 mixture with my quesadilla). 

Serve with another veggie on the side if desired, low fat sour cream (or fat free Greek yogurt!), beans, etc. Enjoy! 

*Vegetarian tip- even though dairy is going to give you good protein and calcium you need to watch out for the fat content. Use low fat or fat free milk, yogurt and frozen yogurt. Try light sour cream and low fat cheese (white cheeses such as mozzarella are naturally lower in fat than yellow, such as cheddar).

No comments:

Post a Comment