Sunday, July 18, 2010

Vegetable Black Bean Burgers

This week I've decided to go vegetarian. Ok ok...first of all, anyone who knows me decently well should know that I am a meat eater! My last meal on this earth will definitely be a nice big filet mignon :) But being a dietitian and dealing with so many questions regarding vegetarian diets I decided- why not give it a try? I love vegetables and a lot of the time I end up eating meatless meals anyway, but I really want to experiment with some true vegetarian entrees. And I have never given up meat completely for a week. Let's see how it goes :)

Tonight I created my own veggie black bean burgers that I think turned out pretty well for my first time! There are so many options that you can do with these and I'm excited to try them out with different vegetables (think sundried tomato, roasted peppers, zucchini/squash, pumpkin, spinach, etc.) and seasonings. Yes, you can buy these in the store frozen but making them was so easy and really they tasted great! They are a perfect alternate to regular burgers on the grill, are low in fat, provide fiber, vitamins and minerals, and still give you the protein your body needs.

Recipe:

  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  •  1/2 medium red bell pepper, roughly chopped
  • 2 artichoke hearts (I used canned), roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup yellow onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped (or about 1tsp pre-chopped)
  • 1 jalepeno pepper, roughly chopped
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup quick oats, processed in food processor 
  • 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs (whole wheat preferred) 
  • 1tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1/2tsp seasoning salt 
  • 1Tbsp olive oil
  • Cooking spray
  • Thomas Better Start, High Fiber English muffins
Heat 1T olive oil in sauté pan over medium to medium-high heat, add peppers, onion, artichokes and cook until onion is slightly translucent and peppers are slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes. While veggies are cooking, mash black beans well with a fork or veggie masher and set aside. Turn off heat and set aside to cool a bit. 




Once cooled enough to handle, add vegetable mixture to food processor or blender and process until veggies are thoroughly minced. Add vegetables, mashed black beans, bread crumbs, oats, egg and seasonings to a medium-large mixing bowl and mix until well combined (I found that my hands worked best to mix). Refrigerate about 15 minutes or so to set ingredients. Once set, form into 4 equal sized patties.








Preheat grill pan or saute pan over medium high heat, spray with cooking spray. Cook patties about 4-6 minutes/side or until done. Serve on a toasted English muffin with veggies of your choice, cheese if you desire and some whole grain mustard or hot sauce! 




Estimated nutritional information (without cheese): 300 calories/burger; 3 grams of fat; 13 grams protein

No comments:

Post a Comment