Saturday, February 5, 2011

Festive Spiced Nuts

(Sorry, this is a little late! I meant to write this post around the holidays and never got the chance! But these were delicious and can be made all year round :) Maybe a great little snack for your super bowl party!) 

Yum Yum YUM!!! I've been reading on a lot of food blogs and in my health magazine all about spiced nuts for the winter season and that got me motivated to try them! I love the sweet roasted almonds/pecans that you can get at local fairs, carnivals and winter gatherings and during my Florida trip I remember my brother buying some honey roasted cashews from a local vendor at a flea market we visited...to die for!!!

I flipped back to my Vibrant Life issue for November/December to get some inspiration for a "lighter" version. After these came out of the oven I could barely keep myself from devouring the pan right then and there (The smell was incredible! Your kitchen will just smell like the Holdays!). The taste is sweet, smokey and a bit spicy!

Here's what I did (recipe adapted from Vibrant Life, 2010):
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

  • 1 Cup Cashews, raw unsalted
  • 1 Cup Almonds, raw unsalted
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon of raw sugar (honey may also be good as well!)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Combine nuts with canola oil and mix well.  In a small bowl combine sugar, spices, and salt then add to nut mixture and coat well. Pour onto baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 10-15 minutes, stirring occassionally until lightly caramelized and fragrant. Allow to cool. Store in airtight container. Perfect for holiday parties or gifts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment