Sunday, February 20, 2011

Gluten Free Toaster Waffles with a Quick Cherry Topping


I've always been a fan of toaster waffles ever since I was a few years old and my mom would make my bro and I some Eggos on the weekends :) Honestly, I think it used to be one of my favorite breakfasts (or dinners!). Now I eat them all the time since they can be so quick, easy and healthy! 

I have always bought whole grain waffles with flax seed and I'll bring them to work with me to pop in the microwave for a minute or even pop up to one of the units and put them in a toaster. I love to top them with peanut butter, honey, and fruit! 

I was so excited to see that Van's makes gluten free waffles in a variety of flavors! I grabbed a box of the whole grain flax to try and was pleasantly surprised. If someone served these to me without telling me they were GF I would have no idea they weren't made with wheat. I decided to take a cue from our Valentine's breakfast last weekend (ricotta pancakes with raspberry sauce!) and whip up a quick fruit topping to go with them. 

Here's what I used (makes about 2 servings):
  • 1 cup frozen cherries 
  • 2T water
  • 2 tsp honey (or your favorite sweetener to taste) 
Heat cherries over medium heat until nearly thawed. Add water and stir, kind of mashing the cherries as you stir. Once combined add the honey and continue to stir. Bring to a boil and reduce mixture to desired thickness...I think I let it go for about 3-4 minutes stirring often to avoid burning. Serve over your favorite waffles or pancakes! 
One serving is about 76 calories per 1/2 cup

We did something similar last weekend when I made my Valentine a {not-so-healthy} breakfast of ricotta pancakes (with added chocolate chips). We used raspberries with a bit of sugar and water and used the same technique and it turned out yummy as well :)
(Just a quick shot of us out to dinner for V-day...love him!) 
Now off for a nice long walk on this beautiful weekend in Baltimore! 

No comments:

Post a Comment