Saturday, February 19, 2011

Gluten Free week!

It's been a while since I've done a theme or "challenge" so I thought I'd give this gluten-free diet a try! I counsel lots of children and families on how to follow strict guidelines for celiac disease and those with wheat allergies and give them ideas of foods they can and can not have. I hear time and time again how difficult this diet is to follow (and truly, it is!) and families always express concern about how they can follow this, so I really think the best way to sympathize with them is to try it out myself and walk in their shoes. 

I went to my grocery store heaven (a.k.a. Wegman's) and scoured their gluten free (GF) section for a few inspirational ideas for my week. I purchased GF lasagna noodles, instant oatmeal, waffles, and rice crackers. Honey Nut Chex, fruits, veggies, pistachios, chicken breast and GF chicken sausage completed my grocery run and I'm excited to create some GF meals this weekend/week! 

I have to say that the prices for some of these items were a bit higher than I usually pay and I think that is a very difficult thing for many families that need to follow a GF diet. Amazon.com does have an amazing selection of gluten-free items though that you can buy in bulk and really save so check it out! 

Up first on my menu is going to be a chicken salad that can be eaten on it's own or with gluten-free bread, corn tortillas or rice crackers and tomorrow gluten-free lasagna with veggies & chicken sausage! I'll definitely welcome any suggestions from all of you! I know there are some amazing blogs out there 100% devoted to this gluten-free need :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment